PDA

View Full Version : NICE!!!

{2399}Reaper
06-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Redirecting...

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Skillz
06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Yea I know, I got that message once too.

wtf is up with that?

Tempus
06-25-2007, 04:38 PM
The forum doesn't know if it trusts you yet.

"Open the pod bay doors please HAL."

"I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that..."

hoser
06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
The forum doesn't know if it trusts you yet.

"Open the pod bay doors please HAL."

"I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that..."

Pretty much on the head.

I've tried 4 or 5 different methods to stop the spambotters, the last one is holding up flawlessly. That message is a remnant of one of the steps I took. I forced moderating the first few posts, and new users so that the spammers would never make 'live' posts.

I took that out around 4:30 DST, so it shouldn't be a bother now.

Skillz
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Two methods I have found to be the best against bots.

1. Advanced visual confirmation. Something where the background/image that the code is printed on isn't a solid color. Multiple colors, with "shadows" of fonts in the background.

2. Textual Confirmation. This is similar to visual confirmation, but it's much more versitle. You can have a question/statement on the registration where the user will have to answer it correctly. Can be anything.

2+2, are you a human?, what is this site name?, say hello, say i love hoser, ect...

Very effective.

andyofne
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
I fixed that at virtual-lunacy.com. I disabled account creation. hahahahahaha

Skillz
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM

That works too. :D

Skillz
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Andy, install this mod.

http://bbantispam.com/tc/

It's so far one of the best anti bot prevention method I have used so far.

Running a site for a friend, crucesstreets.com and he started getting bots registering at his site. They started out with like 15 in one day, then it just kept getting worse. I installed this, and not one bot has registered since.

It's easy to install too.

GreenvilleGangsta
06-25-2007, 08:34 PM
yeah, I really don't mind that the first few posts are moderated. It sucks for the mods actually. I mod a different site and know how much of a pain in the ass it is.

Skillz
06-25-2007, 08:35 PM
yeah, I really don't mind that the first few posts are moderated. It sucks for the mods actually. I mod a different site and know how much of a pain in the ass it is.

Welcome to the site, make an introduction thread! :cool:

hoser
06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey there Greenville. nice sig :)

hoser
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
2. Textual Confirmation. This is similar to visual confirmation, but it's much more versitle. You can have a question/statement on the registration where the user will have to answer it correctly. Can be anything.

2+2, are you a human?, what is this site name?, say hello, say i love hoser, ect...

Very effective.

I've tried 4 or 5 different methods to stop the spambotters, the last one is holding up flawlessly.

It's been on the job for about 2 months now.

Skillz
06-26-2007, 12:24 AM
It's been on the job for about 2 months now.

Oh you are using that? Sorry, I only registered once. :D

hoser
06-26-2007, 06:51 AM
All good, it's quite effective.

Skillz
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
All good, it's quite effective.

Yea; I've been running it on that site for about a month now with no problems. I also run solution number one on my car site, the advanced visualization code with no problems.