PDA

View Full Version : Engine 'explosions'... what causes them?

andyofne
09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Scenario

1991 Totoya Camry with 2.0l 4 cyl engine.
Oil changes July 07. Added oil two weeks ago as it seemed low.

Driving on interstate @ 70 (posted speed limit)

Engine bucks, car slows.

Engine explodes. Smoke, flame, bad noise.

Oil filter found on top of radiator when hood opened.

General question to the mechanically reclined:

What can cause an oil filter to be blown off the engine block?

Couldn't see what else was damaged at that point.

Engine still turned over so it did not seize but I sent it to the junk yard anyway.

Tempus
09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
You didn't tell me that the engine still turned over. You should have maybe popped for a new oil filter and tried your luck before junking it.

Dawg
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Gremlins. I have had this same experience and if you stay up late enough you can see them messing with your car and other properties. Be careful of your lawn mower. That's often next.

D_A_M_A_G_E
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Bad case of premature junkyardation maybe lol :D

andyofne
09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
You didn't tell me that the engine still turned over. You should have maybe popped for a new oil filter and tried your luck before junking it.

Ignoring the fire damage?

Tempus
09-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Ignoring the fire damage?

Was there a lot? I mean other than wire casings and belts?

Tidy
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
The oil filter woulda been blown off because the crankcase was pressurized. This is usually because of a blown head gasket, warped head, or something similar but can't be sure unless the engine is torn down. Basicly there is a hole that when the cylinder tries to compress the mixture to fire it, the air is allowed to leak into the crankcase somehow and builds pressure in the oil galley.

Tidy
09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Was there a lot? I mean other than wire casings and belts?

The fire prob resulted from oil being blown out of the dipstick or from the filter location onto the exhaust manifold.

Dawg
09-26-2007, 06:13 PM
The oil filter woulda been blown off because the crankcase was pressurized. This is usually because of a blown head gasket, warped head, or something similar but can't be sure unless the engine is torn down. Basically there is a hole that when the cylinder tries to compress the mixture to fire it, the air is allowed to leak into the crankcase somehow and builds pressure in the oil galley.

In layman's terms...totaled or no? I drive for a living and this can only help me as I go on. I have a basic understanding of the car and maybe slightly higher than most but not so much as to be considered knowledgeable. I also listen to the Car talk guys just to learn more. Not that anything has really stuck.

Also, strongly consider gremlins.

Tidy
09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Anything is fixable Dawg. At worst, a junkyard motor and harness could have been swapped into it. The harness would have been the thing hurt by fire so if it wasn't bad on the wires then Andy could have probably put a head gasket,new filter, oil change and threw in a timing belt and abused it another 100k.

andyofne
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Let's put it this way.

It was a 1991 Camry with a shitload of miles on it.

I bought it from my x-wife in 2002/2003 when she moved to Florida after our divorce.

I used it occasionally as a winter car.

My kids have been using it for the last few years.

My x-wife didn't take it to Florida in 2003 because her mechanic reported 'serious transmission problems'.

I ignored that because I'm a cheap bastard.

Anyway, my neighbor does some engine repair and I consulted with him. He's familiar with the car and he told me it wasn't worth what it would cost to get it towed home and then to have an engine put in it.

I had 12 hours to make a decision before the county towed it.

I called a local junkyard and they came out and took it away giving me $150 for it.

Whether or not it could be fixed I don't think I wanted to deal with the hassles of buying a junkyard engine and dealing with the 'what ifs' and figuring out how to do all the work.

I do computery shit, not engine replacements.

hoser
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Still think junkin it was the best choice.

Lotharr
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I do computery shit, not engine replacements.
I think I need a T-shirt that says this.

andyofne
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.utgmc.com/images/computeryshit.jpg

Tidy
09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
lol, I wasn't saying it was worth fixin Andy, just telling Dawg it coulda been fixed. Those are the types of Hoopties I sell for 200 down and take payments...hehe. I don't do that type of work, I have low rents do that shit for me and put it back out to sell it for the 11th time. You got out the right way getting rid of it like you did.