PDA

View Full Version : Watch your sump hoses boy & girls!

Tempus
03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I was on the phone in my den with a buddy yesterday when I heard a load rumble beneath the floor in the closet which was rapidly followed by a "BOOM!" and a spray of water from the closet (which housed a network printer, hardware storage, boxes of photos, paper, etc.). The closet door was open so I was able to see the full glory of the detonation and make a dive for the power cord for the sump pump and disconnect it. this didn't stop the water from cascading down a horizontal stud behind the 3" thick cedar board wall w/electrical routed through it to 2 computers that but up against that wall...

Needless to say that after my graceful dive to the floor I had to hang up on my friend and start moving desks and computers out of the room, then everything from the closet/ print & scan station and start vacuuming up water and trying to diagnose the cause of the blast. It turns out that the hose that runs outside from the pump runs under our deck and when the deck was built they placed a support board across the hose, this made a crimp in the hose where water collected and froze and being under the deck in the shade the hose didn't thaw along with everything else and the water pushed back under high pressure and blew the joints in the pvc pipe inside the house. (sorry for the run-on-sentence)

So, today is clean up, dry out, repair and re-arrange day at my house.

Shi*.

Thankfully not only were we home at the time but I was in the room when it happened and could shut off the pump before there was more damage. It still sucks, but it could have been way worse.

Dawson
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
sounds like fun:D

Try having a copper water supply pipe spring a leak under your foundation and come bubbling up through a crack in the floor and then imagine the fun of tunneling four feet down to clear the footer and then back up two feet on the other side of the footer and then about 3 feet along the underside of the foundation to find the faulty pipe and repair it...and then imagine that the hole you fixed was actually only the smaller of two holes the worse of which is another three feet down the pipe and hence more tunneling. That's my burst water line story:D It happened ten years ago so I can laugh about it now:o I'm a little claustrophobic too!

Tempus
03-14-2008, 04:41 PM
sounds like fun:D

Try having a copper water supply pipe spring a leak under your foundation and come bubbling up through a crack in the floor and then imagine the fun of tunneling four feet down to clear the footer and then back up two feet on the other side of the footer and then about 3 feet along the underside of the foundation to find the faulty pipe and repair it...and then imagine that the hole you fixed was actually only the smaller of two holes the worse of which is another three feet down the pipe and hence more tunneling. That's my burst water line story:D It happened ten years ago so I can laugh about it now:o I'm a little claustrophobic too!

No thank you. That's the point where the plumber is called out.

blindfish
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Here ya go this is the man for all your plumbing needs...:p
VSK ASSWAXXER...a man of many talents
http://www.fswclan.com/images/asswaxer.jpg

Tempus
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh man... :D

Are you saying that you would let that "guy" thaw out your hose or ream out your pipes????

Not me man! :D

Lotharr
04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
When our house was hit by lightning last year (http://www.scottherbst.com/?page_id=41&album=3&gallery=9), our sump pump got messed up and started to run in reverse - shooting water into our basement. Thankfully the pump just needed to be reset, and we didn't have any "real" damage because the pump is in a corner of the basement where there was nothing to be damaged.

That really sucks, B. Did you need to file a homeowner's claim?

Tempus
04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
When our house was hit by lightning last year (http://www.scottherbst.com/?page_id=41&album=3&gallery=9), our sump pump got messed up and started to run in reverse - shooting water into our basement. Thankfully the pump just needed to be reset, and we didn't have any "real" damage because the pump is in a corner of the basement where there was nothing to be damaged.

That really sucks, B. Did you need to file a homeowner's claim?

No, we cleaned it up, steamed the carpets a few times, ripped out the shelving and replaced the offending connectors and hoses. It still royally sucks though because now I'm always checking that closet after a snow melt or rain. :( So far so good though.

Lotharr
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
That's good. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.