PDA

View Full Version : Say adios to your 4th amendment rights.

hoser
04-23-2008, 05:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_search

Tempus
04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Tough call that. I mean, if you're caught doing something illegal even accidentally... aren't you still doing something illegal? So, a cop stops you for not wearing your seat belt but when he gets to your car door he sees that your seat belt was just twisted in an angle that made it hard to see from a distance, he apologizes and turns to walk away when he notices a piece of torn clothing sticking out of your trunk and asks you to open it and he finds a murdered body. Even though his reason for stopping you proved to be a mistake you are still a busted ass murderer right?

In the real case if the officer was unaware of a statute or inclined to arrest the guy as a "teach him a lesson" strategy (which is surprisingly common) then I guess I can't argue with the court's decision. I wouldn't approve of them using this ruling as an excuse to randomly kick in doors and search homes though.

Dawson
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm glad to see it..... I get so pissed off everytime I hear about some scumbag getting off on a technicality like that.

andyofne
04-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Tough call that. I mean, if you're caught doing something illegal even accidentally... aren't you still doing something illegal? So, a cop stops you for not wearing your seat belt but when he gets to your car door he sees that your seat belt was just twisted in an angle that made it hard to see from a distance, he apologizes and turns to walk away when he notices a piece of torn clothing sticking out of your trunk and asks you to open it and he finds a murdered body. Even though his reason for stopping you proved to be a mistake you are still a busted ass murderer right?

In the real case if the officer was unaware of a statute or inclined to arrest the guy as a "teach him a lesson" strategy (which is surprisingly common) then I guess I can't argue with the court's decision. I wouldn't approve of them using this ruling as an excuse to randomly kick in doors and search homes though.

Unfortunately that "it looked as if you weren't wearing a seat belt" thing is so abused when they just want to pull you over because you're black or hispanic or just because they want to fuck with you.

hoser
04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Just remember the men and woman who died to protect your rights. Don't be so quick to give them up. Instead, fight to find lawmakers and politicos who aren't corrupted. THAT is what will get scumbags off the streets, not taking away my rights or personal freedoms.

/rant :)

Dawg
04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
4 legs good, 2 legs bad.

Lotharr
04-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately that "it looked as if you weren't wearing a seat belt" thing is so abused when they just want to pull you over because you're black or hispanic or just because they want to fuck with you.

Amen to that. Scalia is a douchebag.