PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Sad; Guilty

andyofne
04-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Long story short, my mother had a little dog that she brought over to my house back in November before she had her knee surgery. I was supposed to look after the dog for a few weeks while she recovered.

Well, after a month he revealed that she wasn't going to pick up the dog because she was moving into a ground floor apartment but it had a no pets clause. She needed to get out of where she lived due to the stairs. Not to mention the growing violent crime in that area (she was held up at gun point while checking her mail earlier this year).

Anyway, she told me in December to take the dog to the humane society but I really couldn't do it.

Fast forward...

The dog has issues.

1) It was never properly house broken and pisses and shits in the house every single day. The moment you turn your back he's off shitting in someone's bedroom or in the living room. Really disgusting.

2) He growls and snaps at people.

3) He barks at strangers visiting the house non-stop.

4) He is aggressive towards my dog. The aggressive behavior actually began to affect the behavior of my lab. This is probably what pushed me to make the decision to take her dog to the pound.

5) He chews clothing; socks, underwear, towels.

After I got home Tuesday, I grabbed the dog's collar and drove him down to the humane society building. Normally, this dog can't sit still in the car. He jumps around from window to window, annoying the shit out of me.

Tuesday, he sat quietly on the seat with his head down. He knew what was coming, I'm pretty sure of it.

Sadly, when I listed out his faults the "no kill" shelter said that they would likely have to put the dog to sleep. But the promised to evaluate the dog to see if there was anything that could be done for him.

Well, I really feel sad about the whole thing. I fear that he will end up being put down because he's such a little dickhead.

I wish I could have thought of another way to deal with him but I really reached a point where I wanted to kick him across the living room and I knew that the time had come to do something.

My mother is going to be devastated. I think she secretly hoped I would keep the dog here where he could play with my dog and have some semblance of a happy life.

Tell me I didn't make a mistake. Or tell me if I did.

hoser
04-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Like I told you, you held onto the dog way longer then expected.. You didn't do anything wrong.. you put it up for adoption.

Tempus
04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
There's a limit to what can be expected of anyone. I've had dogs my whole life as have most of my family and friends and I've seen dogs sent to the adoption groups and the "pound" for a lot less in a much shorter time. Sometimes you run across a dog that is just unstable, often for physical reasons just like some people. I think you did a kind thing taking in that dog in the first place and then you went above and beyond by trying to care for it for so long. Good on ya' mate!

P.S. protecting the demeanor of your lab is more important in the long run than anything you could do for your Mom's dog.

Belz
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
aWW man
Andy
Now your reputation of bad boy is broke.

We know you have a big heart.You have more patience then me,and i do love animal and would rescue them anytime.
Don't feel bad. The dog probably already got some more time that he would of got anywhere else.

ALLT4
04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Geeze Andy don't feel bad some dogs through bad breeding or whatever are just nutz period. I had a Dalmatian for a while that was driving me and the whole family crazy. Nothing could be done for this dog, crate training didn't work, the dog would eat rocks outside and when it came time to shit them out the dog would get real mean because the rocks would be tearing up his asshole. Really that's how stupid the dog was, an invisible fence didn't work the dog would run right through it no matter how much pain it was in. When he ran off he would run for hours all over the neighborhood and no amount of coaxing could get him back. Finally he bit a kid that came to visit one time and that was all I could take. Off to the pound and I wrote him a death sentence. I felt it was best for the dog and didn't want any other child or family to have to deal with such an insane dog. This was all caused by a breeder breading for nothing more than money, I think there may have been some bloodlines that were a little too close.

Now we have a Rottweiler Black lab mix and it's the best dog we've ever had. The Rottweiler in her makes her lazy, a good thing. The Lab in her makes her so darn lovable. She always wants to please us and is pretty good about coming back when take her outside.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/gls17/Razz.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/gls17/Razz2.jpg

Lotharr
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
You did nothing wrong, Andy. You agreed to temporarily watch the dog. You did not sign on to do obedience training with a problem animal - which is very time consuming and expensive.

andyofne
04-25-2008, 06:53 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/2388834566_e605a33d68_b.jpg

My retarded lab Rufio has been sad, too. Though he also seems to be a little relieved. While he loved playing with Fugly (mom's dog) he didn't often enjoy the bullying / biting the little dog would inflict.

Lotharr
04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Man - that camera takes nice shots.

"Fugly" - lol

[DT]AZ~Dreamer
04-29-2008, 01:44 AM
At least you didn't just dump it off on the side of the road somewhere or just lock it up in the back and forget about it like a lot of assholes do.

I had to go through the same kinda thing with my kid's cat not too long ago. It ate something that got caught in it's digestive tract and I couldn't afford to help her out. The "no kill" shelter said they could on;y help her if she was adopted and the new owner paid for her surgery. I felt pretty bad leaving him there because I actually liked that cat and he was only a baby.