FPSNetwork

FPSNetwork (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/index.php)
-   Game related issues (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Installing UT2k4 under linux (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429)

hoser 07-09-2007 09:59 PM

Installing UT2k4 under linux

Ok, here's a general WTF already : )

Installed the game (from OEM CD's) by taking the installer .sh and copying it to the hdd, then ran it as su. ( If you don't, you can't unmount to put the next CD in )

Installation went just fine, nary a hiccup.

Followed every jackasses instructions on the web and found the 3369.2 patch, which includes the editors choice and megapack files. Then I unpacked it, changed the ../ut2004 foler to allow me to read/ write not only the folder but the files too, and did the same to the folder containing this mystical magical fucking patch.

All files copied over without a scratch.

Even ucc-bin and ut2004-bin remained executable.

Tried to fire it up from the symnbolic link.. the symbolic link can lick my ass, it does nothing. Went directly to the system to fire it up, nothing. Not even a splash screen.

This guy - http://www.liflg.org/forum/viewtopic...0d088 7794329
Seems to think I should tell the game where these files are, so I did as SU.

Even if we've got the executable now, we can't run the game because the libraries are not found by ut2004, so we will indicate their location. Code: cd to wherever your UT2004/System
ln -sf /usr/lib/libopenal.so openal.so
ln -sf /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL-1.2.so.0
Bah, still nothing.

Andrew suggested looking at the logs, but the damn engine won't start, and I see no logs to search.

After <-smack_ remembering he also asked me to start it from the console, I got an error about a missing library.

Aka --

./ucc-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[root@localhost System]# yum install compat-lib* This seemed to fix that issue.

Now the error is -- Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
But at least I saw the freaking splash screen, so there is hope.

So I've been lead to believe that changing the "nv" to nvidia, and adding the Load line will make this magically go away - why does linux have to be so cryptic?

I'll post this now in case the reboot fubars my installation :)

andyofne 07-09-2007 10:20 PM

Which is why, despite what a few people say, LInux as a Windows desktop replacement is not now (or likely ever) going to be a realistic option.

When someone who is quite savvy about all things computer can't get a game that has a lot of support for *nix to even run it says a lot about the situation.

hoser 07-09-2007 10:21 PM

At least it's more forgiving, it noticed the error and reconfigured my display and blam, I'm back.

Anyway, enough for tonight, I'll probably just upgrade the vid driver tomorrow or the next day.

Skillz 07-10-2007 09:22 AM

That's pretty much the same with all games on Linux I have found.

Almost takes an act of congress to get it to work.

hoser 07-10-2007 10:28 AM

If the vid driver don't work, Immacall Congress... or at least try something else :)
What a royal pain in the ass. Ah well, I'll know later on.

Skillz 07-10-2007 04:19 PM

Usually by the time your done working out all the bugs, you become a professional at coding for the game. :mad:

D_A_M_A_G_E 07-10-2007 05:52 PM

might not support you video card. I think that is why it won`t install on my rig

hoser 07-10-2007 08:51 PM

Fack, it has to support it, it's a 6800 nVidia, and I read you have the 8800. I think editing the X11/conf to remove "nv" and replace it with "nvidia" might help.

D_A_M_A_G_E 07-11-2007 07:00 PM

a little google action shows a few people have made it work if I can get more time I`ll fiddle with it :D

[DT]Dementore 10-08-2007 05:37 PM

Hi guys!

When I did get my UT99 game to run on Linux, I had a huge ping. Much more than when I used Windows. So I got rid of the sucker. lol

Not sure if any of you remember. I was in [LAD] with EmilyStrange, Sugarkisses, DrunkenCop, AJ, Tweak, CaptainRedWing, etc. (too many to name). Then I joined up with {PPP} with Farrier and Freakzilla.