FPSNetwork

FPSNetwork (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windows, Mac, Linux.. etc. (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   WinBlows 7 ( beta ) (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722)

{2399}Straycat 01-27-2009 11:31 AM

WinBlows 7 ( beta )

Ok, I was talking to John ( daddypoo ) the other day and he said he was beta testing WinBlows 7. I thought what the hell and DL'ed both the 32 & 64K versions.

I can say its purrrrrrdy, runs faster then VisCrap but, of course, it has issues. The 64K wouldn't install my ethernet card, no matter what I did, but it would use my onboard ( which NEVER worked before ). Everything else seemed fine, sigh, except when it came to running UT. UT would load then quit responding. John, how did you get by this? I figured because it was the 64K version and I was running ut in 32bit that, that was probably the problem. But, before I installed the 32K version I installed UT raw right off the disk. Holy Sheet it worked, sorta.........

It would only run if I kept it at 16K video but when I kicked it up to 32, same shit, game would just go to a black screen.

FINE, I dumped the 64K and installed the 32K version figuring everything would be ok...... WRONG.

Now my soundcard drivers would crash it ( SoundBlaster X-Fi ) every time I tried installing it ( but was fine in the 64K version ) but I had the same ethernet problems. ( onboard sound worked, of course )

UT did the same thing........ Needless to say, Im back to XP ( never killed the HD it was on ) untill I can resolve the UT problem.

Anyone else tested this yet?

blindfish 01-27-2009 11:36 AM

:confused: nope...who has the time to muck about with that stuff :p

hoser 01-27-2009 07:54 PM

Beta is as beta dies, don't give it a second thought if something don't work.

ALLT4 01-27-2009 10:28 PM

Tried it, looked like Linux it was so beta. Got bored unplugged it, went back to XP and browsed the Internet.

From what little I messed with 7 things did seem faster but there's no bloat yet. Too soon to make a call, waiting for the next release. Come to think of it everything worked except the sound card, really wasn't much fun without that. Didn't bother to try and find a driver, wasn't worth it anyway. I think I have a beta so stripped it's worthless.

andyofne 01-29-2009 12:15 AM

I don't really get into playing with 'beta' operating systems any more. I'm just not that ambitious.

I have great hopes that Windows 7 will be a good operating system because I refuse to load Vista despite the fact that it seems to know be working fine for most people using it.

I felt the same way about XP for the first 2 years after it came out. You couldn't pry Windows 2000 pro out of my computer until XP had the majority of it's bugs worked out.

I now have a fondness for XP and will be sad to leave it behind.

{2399}Straycat 01-29-2009 12:26 AM

I agree with you, Andy. But Xp's gettin kinda old in my eyes. What I did see of 7 was very nice. Granted a beta test doesn't give all the goodys but the desktop looks alot better and it did run alot faster then vista did. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs because the 64K version was easier to get things working, the 32K just sucked......

In either case, I wont be buying the OS. I'll get it another way :p

Ive never bought any OS's :D

*XxDADxX* 01-29-2009 07:44 PM

Chris I am using Windows 7 Beta on a spare master drive using a switch http://www.industechnologies.com/pro...&ProductID=176 to go between 4 OSs. I am not using it for UT, just using it for test driving shit.

{2399}Straycat 01-29-2009 11:41 PM

Oh ok, John. I misunderstood you.

Ghanzafar 02-03-2009 07:16 PM

For everyone runny windows 7 all vista drivers work for beta due to the fact it is off the Vista and 2008 server kernel. I been running win7 since the beta was released and I have to say that it runs way faster than vista and is as stable as XP. I tested mutiple Games with the OS such as UT, ut2k4, UT3, BF2, COD4,COD5 and Steam releases. All seem to run great since nvidia is working with Microsoft for the drivers for Nvidia users. Straycat I have a SB Titanium Fatallty the drivers Installed with out a hitch from the CD it detected the OS as a vista OS. To get the best out of win7 64bit is the way to go. The only flaw I see with Win7 is that media player doesn't index from a network drive which sucks because I have over 600 gigs of music, hopefully this will be resolve but I doubt it because of the new user group config. Vista is like Windows ME a flop. Remember peeps it is yet still a beta but for a beta it is worth it.

{2399}Straycat 02-03-2009 08:20 PM

I could get everything to work with the 64 version but UT. soundcard drivers crashed ( bsod ) on the 32. Ut would work on a fresh install only at 16bit color, 32 wouldn't run, just a black screen. GeForce 8600GTS PCIe 256, up to date drivers, so, i dunno...............

And I agree, it did run TONS faster then VisCrap.