FPSNetwork

FPSNetwork (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Gaming Topics (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   September 2020 (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1036)

andyofne 09-04-2020 09:09 PM

September 2020

Who among you would have thought that we would be where we are now in 2020?

Working from home.

Wearing a mask.

Not being able to socialize in public so much.

Not to mention all the stuff going on with politics and social issues.

Anyone still do any gaming online?

I'm still playing some World of Tanks and now and then Red Dead Redeption 2 online.

keep thinking about spinning up a classic UTGMC Unreal Tournament server but times just slips away.

Old age is not fun, my friends. I remember being an older fella in the group 20 years ago ;)

Closing in on 60 faster than I care.

Andy/Skagalak

Dawson 10-25-2020 11:48 PM

Haven't played any games at all since UT..... unless you count wii with my kids occasionally. Will UT even install and run on a modern windows 10 pc? It would be cool if it would but are any of the maps we used to run still available somewhere? I lost all that stuff a long time ago.

Interesting times for sure. My wife recently lost an Aunt and Uncle to covid but other than that and wearing a mask when we go in business's we're just plugging along like usual for the most part.

Skillz 10-26-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyofne (Post 7492)
Who among you would have thought that we would be where we are now in 2020?

I was for sure we'd have flying cars by now.

Quote:

Working from home.

I'm not working from home. Well, not completely. I did pick up a side job a couple months back doing PC Case Reviews for TheFPSReview.com.

Quote:

Wearing a mask.

I refuse to wear a god damn mask. Yes, I did test "positive" for COVID19 and let me tell you I'd much rather catch COVID19 than the seasonal flu. COVID19 was a walk in the park for me. I was just tired for about 2 days and ran a fever one night. Wasn't shit. Granted, I did lose my sense of smell and taste for about a week and a half, that part sucked.

Quote:

Not being able to socialize in public so much.

I've always disliked the general public anyway. Bunch of idiots.

Quote:

Not to mention all the stuff going on with politics and social issues.

Not to bring politics into this, but we all know who's responsible for most of it.

Quote:

Anyone still do any gaming online?

I play a few games here and there still, some of them online. Not so much on the competitive side anymore as I don't have the time to play often enough to be competitive.

COD:MW (the new one)
Killing Floor
www.panzerrush.com (cool RTS game that's never ending)
Skyrim (Not online, but I play this game the most.
Unreal Tournament (Only hopped on because I seen you posting about your server on UA.org)

My Steam name is Skillz and I believe my handle/profile thing is lblanchardiii.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/lblanchardiii/

Quote:

I'm still playing some World of Tanks and now and then Red Dead Redeption 2 online.

I need to play RDR2. Heard its a great game. Same with the GTA games.

Quote:

keep thinking about spinning up a classic UTGMC Unreal Tournament server but times just slips away.

What you mean thinking? I already hopped on your server about 2 weeks ago. Did you shut it down already? :D

[edit: Just noticed the post date was last month]

Quote:

Old age is not fun, my friends. I remember being an older fella in the group 20 years ago ;)

It's not all bad either.

Quote:

Closing in on 60 faster than I care.

Andy/Skagalak

Wow, you are getting up there. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawson (Post 7495)
Haven't played any games at all since UT..... unless you count wii with my kids occasionally. Will UT even install and run on a modern windows 10 pc? It would be cool if it would but are any of the maps we used to run still available somewhere? I lost all that stuff a long time ago.

Yes and I believe Anthrax (long time anticheat coder for UT) and a team he put together recently released a new official UT patch for the game that's supposed to help it run better on modern hardware. However, right out the box it's a hit or miss on whether it works correctly. With some tweaking, and testing you can get the smooth gameplay back. Just takes time. The new patch might solve that though as I haven't tried it.

Over 150 maps here
http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Ma...-Mappacks_1-3/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawson (Post 7495)
Interesting times for sure. My wife recently lost an Aunt and Uncle to covid but other than that and wearing a mask when we go in business's we're just plugging along like usual for the most part.

Hate to hear that. My condolences for your loss.

Dawson 11-04-2020 12:31 AM

awesome!, I found my old ut disk and installed the game but couldn't get it to start, found the anthrax patch you mentioned and installed it and the game started right up. Still need to play around with settings when I have time but brings back a lot of memories.....can't believe my old map packs are still floating around too,lol:D

Skillz 01-04-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawson (Post 7497)
awesome!, I found my old ut disk and installed the game but couldn't get it to start, found the anthrax patch you mentioned and installed it and the game started right up. Still need to play around with settings when I have time but brings back a lot of memories.....can't believe my old map packs are still floating around too,lol:D

Well unless something huge causes me to lose the hosting they'll always be there.

Also, first post of 2021.

andyofne 03-01-2021 12:05 PM

I had both my 99 and 2004 servers running for a while.
But every time the computer restarts, I gotta kick them off manually.
never saw anyone joining them so I quit restarting them but they are still available on the machine.

got back into Ham radio in the meantime, with Tom, and I've been spending a lot of time with that.

Skillz 03-14-2021 11:11 AM

Batch scripts are your friend. ;)