FPSNetwork

FPSNetwork (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windows, Mac, Linux.. etc. (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Google Chrome (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813)

Skillz 04-08-2010 03:16 AM

Google Chrome

Has anyone here given it a whirl?

Been using it for the past week or so and I must say, I think I like it. Very sleek and straight forward.

In an unfair test, I usually open both FF and GC together at random points during my systems uptime and every time GC loads much faster. Granted, I've been using that install of FF for over a year now and it's got plenty of plugins installed on it, which I am fairly confident is a major factor in the loading times for it.

Going to keep using it, trying out plugins that are similar to the ones I use on FF. When I first started using GC, I usually kept going back to FF a lot, but I find myself sticking to GC more and more now.

hoser 04-08-2010 08:33 PM

I haven't given it a fair chance, maybe I'll reinstall it and try to use it for a week or so as a test.

Tempus 04-08-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillz (Post 6634)
Has anyone here given it a whirl?

Been using it for the past week or so and I must say, I think I like it. Very sleek and straight forward.

In an unfair test, I usually open both FF and GC together at random points during my systems uptime and every time GC loads much faster. Granted, I've been using that install of FF for over a year now and it's got plenty of plugins installed on it, which I am fairly confident is a major factor in the loading times for it.

Going to keep using it, trying out plugins that are similar to the ones I use on FF. When I first started using GC, I usually kept going back to FF a lot, but I find myself sticking to GC more and more now.

I don't know about you but my bff said that GC loads way slower than FF and that IE is like so much cooler but i don't believe her because I think she's kinda' ac/dc and if that's tmi for you then TBAH!

LOL... :p

Anyway, I uninstalled Chrome too, maybe I'll try it again some time.

Tempus 04-09-2010 12:07 AM

Uhhh, tried it again.

Uninstalled it again.

andyofne 04-09-2010 02:05 PM

I have it installed but I have no compelling desire or reason to use it.

I like Firefox. I have a bunch of add ons installed and they do all sorts of nifty things for me.

Chrome only just recently added the ability to install addons like ad block.

Chrome very well may open/load faster but if that's all it's going to bring to the table it isn't enough. It's not like I'm waiting 45 seconds for FF to open.

FF, for me, is tried and true. It does what I want, when I want it done.

It has bloated a bit over the years but that, in my opinion, is the fault of the users as much as the developers. They meet the demands of the masses and the features that get added end up making FF more like IE and less like FF.

Sitting Duck 02-24-2011 02:40 PM

Well, I don't mean to bump an old topic, but I can't help myself here...

Speaking as a web developer, I'd have to say that Chrome is probably the best browser when it comes to speed. They've got javascript executing so fast now, it's almost unfair to the other browsers.

I still cling to my firefox with my spiffy plugins and familiar setup, though.

However, now that Chrome has Firebug, Greasemonkey and NoScript equivalents, I might just have to switch.

andyofne 02-24-2011 08:00 PM

I thought the biggest thing keeping me from Chrome was the lack of a decent adblocker but even after they made one I still don't like it.

I have several very specific addons for Firefox that I can't do without at this point. I suppose I *could* do without them but I choose not to.

Chrome just isn't THAT much faster for what I do.

Sitting Duck 02-27-2011 02:52 PM

I hear you. Some of the stuff I do at work needs that kinda javascript speed.

Our CMS has a heavily AJAX driven interface and some of it is literally drag-n-drop. I can see a major difference working from that side of things.

But I use firefox with firebug for the real web development stuff and turn on no-script for normal web browsing. :)