FPSNetwork

FPSNetwork (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Gaming Topics (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Time for a new pc (http://fpsnetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863)

Tidy 05-19-2011 06:43 PM

Time for a new pc

I haven't gamed in years but my efforts for my site have killed my rig and time to update ....

I ordered a core i7 960 with an Nvidia gtx570 and 6 gigs of ram... Will it run ut99 lol?
Been awhile since I had a new rig, I may have to pick up a game to try out.

Cowboy 05-19-2011 10:52 PM

hry

Nice. :)

Skillz 05-21-2011 02:28 AM

For a gaming machine, should have saved the money and got an i7 2600K.

Tidy 05-21-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillz (Post 6990)
For a gaming machine, should have saved the money and got an i7 2600K.

I will use it more for graphix and post processing. The 960 is "supposed" to have better performance for that and this will be my first nvidia card which the Cuda api is geared towards adobe. Would have liked to have gotten a quattro card but they are outrageous and the specs don't seem much more than a gamer card?? In the end it's just basically a guessed recipe of parts but I am sure it will be a vast improvement over this p4...haha

Skillz 05-22-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidy (Post 6991)
I will use it more for graphix and post processing. The 960 is "supposed" to have better performance for that and this will be my first nvidia card which the Cuda api is geared towards adobe. Would have liked to have gotten a quattro card but they are outrageous and the specs don't seem much more than a gamer card?? In the end it's just basically a guessed recipe of parts but I am sure it will be a vast improvement over this p4...haha

The 960 isn't "faster" than the i7 2600k in those applications the 2600K out performs the 960 (or in some cases is very, very close behind). Only the higher end 900 series beat out the 2600K (In some cases, even the 2600K still out does those as well). The X58 is dead, I'd only buy it if I truly made a living editing video/images, in which case I'd only opt for the 990X or 980X, as they truly out perform the Sandy Bridge in those applications and would be able to justify spending two to three times as much than a SB setup. For the gamer and enthusiasts, I think you'll get a better value going SB.

Even though I did just look up the prices on the i7 2600K vs the i7 960 and it seems Intel lowered the price on the i7 960, which might make it worth it. However, the 2600K is an overclocking monster.

Here are some benchmarks between the two.

IIRC, the Quadro cards are basically the same as the gaming cards, just different drivers. I know some people who get the Quadro cards just to flash them with the gaming version because they seem to over clock easier.

CUDA is the only reason why I went with Nvidia this round as well, otherwise I would have just went with the much cheaper, almost same performance ATi/AMD card at the time.

Either way, I guess this conversation is pointless since you seem to have already purchased the 960 setup, so I don't mean to slap you in the face after the fact. :o

I built an i7 870 last year, still holding strong for what it's worth though. Granted, I wish I would have waited the few months to build a SB setup. :rolleyes:

Tidy 06-14-2011 03:59 PM

I finally got it the other day and I am happy with it. This rig is blazing fast. You guys here will prob understand even more so than the new pc, the tech came out to find out why my crappy dsl was only getting 221k dl speeds which I have always had no good opitions. He told me they updated the co close to me for not only dsl but I jumped from that crap speed to today I am getting 3 mb down at my house... The 56k Tidybowlman has waited a decade to get real speeds....Woot!

Skillz 06-15-2011 03:05 AM

Distance from the DSLAM/CO is really the only bad thing about DSL.

Tidy 06-15-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillz (Post 7001)
Distance from the DSLAM/CO is really the only bad thing about DSL.

That had been the problem all these years. I had been right at the 18k ft limit until this update. Now I am about 7kft.. But I am tickled to death that I finally caught up to having something close to what most on this forum had 10 years ago...Sad, I know but it's been my biggest gripe on the cons to not living in a metro area. This is the first time I have been able to actually stream media or not dread downloads.

It is a big boost for me and should broaden my efforts thru my site.

The cable co install broadbanded amps on the poles in like 2000 but they still have yet to hook them up, charter(cable) sux balls out this way... DSL has come through for me tho.. plus a few DSL techs are regs on my site so that has perks, like 1.5 is all they offer but the tech gave me the info on the 3meg capability and a # to get it even tho no one else can out here....

andyofne 06-15-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidy (Post 7002)
That had been the problem all these years. I had been right at the 18k ft limit until this update. Now I am about 7kft.. But I am tickled to death that I finally caught up to having something close to what most on this forum had 10 years ago...Sad, I know but it's been my biggest gripe on the cons to not living in a metro area. This is the first time I have been able to actually stream media or not dread downloads.

It is a big boost for me and should broaden my efforts thru my site.

The cable co install broadbanded amps on the poles in like 2000 but they still have yet to hook them up, charter(cable) sux balls out this way... DSL has come through for me tho.. plus a few DSL techs are regs on my site so that has perks, like 1.5 is all they offer but the tech gave me the info on the 3meg capability and a # to get it even tho no one else can out here....

My guess is that anything they installed in 2000 is no longer compliant with current standards... but who knows.

Tidy 06-15-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyofne (Post 7003)
My guess is that anything they installed in 2000 is no longer compliant with current standards... but who knows.

So does that mean it's fair game for target practice? I could plink it from the porch with my pistol... haha.

I'd say you are right Andy, it's just funny those asshats put them up and never did another damn thing but get my hopes up back then.. Guess that's why we all have Dish or DTV.