Thread: Carbonite
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM

Skillz is infamous around these partsSkillz is infamous around these parts
Backing up files is a time consuming process. Therefore, I don't see how using your internet connection to upload backups to an off site location like that will make it any faster. Especially since most connections these days have 1/10th the download speed.

Buying twice the number of drives you need and running RAID to backup your data on the other drive is probably not only a faster solution, but probably cheap as well. Hard drives these days really aren't that expensive, unless you try to get the biggest on the market; but who really needs a 1TB drive filled with important, can't replace data?

Not to mention with the way it looks like most Cable companies are going these days. This could quickly eat up your bandwidth cap if you backup a lot of stuff. I was reading that one of the Cable Co. is implementing a 250G monthly cap. Others are thinking about doing even lower, my Cable Co. (CableOne) has a limit that if I reach a threshold within' a allocated time period, my connection speed is decreased by 50% or more until the data transfer is below the threshold for a few hours.

I dunno though, I still think on site backup's > off site backups such as those.