View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Been 'round..

ALLT4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus View Post
I've been running 64bit vista for a couple of months now and I don't get any weird HD activity or anything. I have a system gadget running and usage seems to parallel my activity. Maybe it's your AV or maybe spyware detection eating up your system or maybe automatic back-up checking for new files?
It's not so much a whole lot of processor power being used, I kind of misspoke that. It's the hard drive activity, I don't run anything I haven't run in XP without all the hard drive activity.

Maybe you have quieter drives and just don't notice it. I've turned off anything I can think of, such as the Defender, indexing, UAC and stuff like that. About the only things I run for spyware are Symantec Antivirus and Spybot's Internet immunization.

And Andy, it's a lot of stuff like you experienced with that HP that turns me off also. I do a lot with music and pictures on my PC. Some old Mp3 editing stuff that worked on XP doesn't work with Vista or is limited as to what it does now. It's hard for me to point out specific examples because I just try to forget about them as they happen and write those programs off and search for others.

Can't say I've really had driver issues, then again I buy new stuff almost every 6 months so everything is already Vista ready.