View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 02:54 AM

Skillz is infamous around these partsSkillz is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy View Post
I will use it more for graphix and post processing. The 960 is "supposed" to have better performance for that and this will be my first nvidia card which the Cuda api is geared towards adobe. Would have liked to have gotten a quattro card but they are outrageous and the specs don't seem much more than a gamer card?? In the end it's just basically a guessed recipe of parts but I am sure it will be a vast improvement over this p4...haha
The 960 isn't "faster" than the i7 2600k in those applications the 2600K out performs the 960 (or in some cases is very, very close behind). Only the higher end 900 series beat out the 2600K (In some cases, even the 2600K still out does those as well). The X58 is dead, I'd only buy it if I truly made a living editing video/images, in which case I'd only opt for the 990X or 980X, as they truly out perform the Sandy Bridge in those applications and would be able to justify spending two to three times as much than a SB setup. For the gamer and enthusiasts, I think you'll get a better value going SB.

Even though I did just look up the prices on the i7 2600K vs the i7 960 and it seems Intel lowered the price on the i7 960, which might make it worth it. However, the 2600K is an overclocking monster.

Here are some benchmarks between the two.

IIRC, the Quadro cards are basically the same as the gaming cards, just different drivers. I know some people who get the Quadro cards just to flash them with the gaming version because they seem to over clock easier.

CUDA is the only reason why I went with Nvidia this round as well, otherwise I would have just went with the much cheaper, almost same performance ATi/AMD card at the time.

Either way, I guess this conversation is pointless since you seem to have already purchased the 960 setup, so I don't mean to slap you in the face after the fact.

I built an i7 870 last year, still holding strong for what it's worth though. Granted, I wish I would have waited the few months to build a SB setup.