FPSNetwork  

Go Back   FPSNetwork > The Lounge > General psychobabble
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Been 'round..

ALLT4 is on a distinguished road
Since you guys are a neutral party.

I have this old girlfriend I recently got back in touch with after about 23 years. Everything is cool and we enjoyed catching and all that but the conversations are taking a different turn.

Anyway she home schools her kids, I have never agreed with home school because I think it tears some families apart. Her Virtual School in Wisconsin is supposed to be shut down due to violations of statutes of some sort. It's called the WIVA if you're interested at all.

Well she sent me this link to read about how they're going to have some kind of demonstration march to keep the WIVA open.

I read one of the Teachers story there and it makes me mad, as the Home School thing usually does. When you read it and my comments you'll know why. I was going to send her this email but wanted an outside opinion first. She still might see it because if you Google my user name here it comes up a lot.

Her first name is Sue so you know what you're reading.

Here's what I was going to write her about it, am I an asshole and off base here?...

Quote:
I have some issues with it. Read the Teacher's story below.

http://www.everykiddeservesagreatsch...__Stories.html

Read it carefully as parent that sends your kids to brick and mortar schools only and thinks it IS the best for THEIR kids.

If I had this woman in front of me I'd bitch slap her right into reality. This is the pompous arrogance I'm telling you about with all this home school psychobabble. I'm sorry but if this woman shows up to whatever march is happening and speaks I'm afraid you're all doomed. The WEAC will tear her a new asshole. The WEAC is right on one account "Parent involvement is too much" they don't mean parents shouldn't take part in their kids learning process. They mean they shouldn't have as much involvement as they do. Parents are becoming the primary educators and they're not qualified to be such, some are some aren't. Better find another straw man argument because that one won't float.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
"Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent’s position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent’s actual position has been refuted."

Let me pull out some stuff to show you how pompous this lady is. I'd rather my kids go to a regular school than have to deal with this kind of self righteousness and arrogance.

Quote:
In my school, licensed, experienced teachers instruct students and partner with parents (who strongly value their child's education) to ensure the curriculum is carried out to the mastery level.
Notice the part in parenthesis, this opposed to parents who just don't give a shit about their kids and send them off to regular school because we're too lazy to home school our children. Ohh but wait a minute Gary, maybe she means they "also" value their child's education as much as other parents, right? Well why didn't she say that, it's set up as a reverse straw man, intentionally leaving out "also" sets it up. I believe she wants us to assume that only parents of home schooled children value their child's education and the nay Sayers then can be told that "I meant that these parents ALSO value their child's education." Please explain "mastery level" to me, by whose standards, this Teacher's? So only by home school can children attain the "mastery level" I'm gonna barf!

Quote:
In my school, teachers use additional technology tools to deliver instruction to students in a "virtual classroom" through a program called Elluminate LIVE. In these classrooms, I am able to teach lessons directly to students as a group, tutor students individually, and separate my students into individual work groups while monitoring their learning activities together. Through this technology I am able to communicate through a Web-cam and microphone, and teach lessons using a digital pen on a "virtual whiteboard," which appears on the student's individual computer screens--in the exact same way a teacher uses chalk on a blackboard in a traditional classroom.
The whole paragraph above is nothing more than a straw man statement. There's nothing that she says here that is BETTER than being in a real classroom, only different. It doesn't make a good case for choosing to home school only that it can be AS good. This technology isn't additional in a sense, it's a necessity because of lack of direct interaction with the student, and trying to show that it somehow makes a better student is a really weak argument for it. Why not just teach at a regular school where direct contact can be made every day? Eliminate all the expense for all this technology needed to make it SEEM like a classroom and gasp... use a real classroom and chalkboard. Use the saved money for better facilities and more class space, maybe even better pay for themselves. Doh... self owange on her part.

Quote:
Frankly, I have more meaningful contact with students in this 'virtual' setting than I did in the brick and mortar world of traditional schools.
The only thing I take away from a statement like this is this teacher couldn't handle a regular classroom and maybe should think about a new career. An explanation should have been given as to why she feels this way. It only solidifies my doubts about her motives for teaching in a virtual environment. The statement is empty and not backed up with facts, define "more meaningful” there’s only arguments that virtual school is as good as regular school. Again, why home school when you try to continuously show me how a virtual school is as good as a regular school?

Quote:
Here's one that has me rolling on the floor with laughter...
On-line scripted lessons, written by professionals in the field, are presented to the students at their own pace. Because a student does not need to move along with the masses in a classroom of 25-30, individualized attention can be poured into each one.
Notice the word "individualized"... You mean to tell me that this teacher can supply a more individualized focus on a student from God knows where (or even out of the district, the main point of the lawsuit) better than a Teacher in a classroom where she or he might have direct contact with a student? Let's assume virtual learning is the best thing since sliced bread, hell everyone wants to do it. Furthermore how many do it now? How many students does this teacher have now, does anyone know? If it's ever found out that this Teacher indeed does have 25-30 students she has some real explaining to do as to how she can pour individualized attention into each student better than she can as if she was in a real classroom. What does not moving along with the masses have to do with individualized attention, not a thing that I can see. It doesn't float and insults my intelligence. Gee, I only went to brick and mortar schools an I could own this Teacher without hardly trying.

Quote:
Students in Wisconsin's public virtual schools are receiving an exceptional education from licensed teachers.
Students in brick and mortar schools do the same. There's no statistics that show home schooled children are better adjusted or better educated than any other kids. Actually I would have no idea how anyone could quantify that. This is a "nothing statement" that brings nothing to the table except maybe plant a seed that somehow home schooled children receive a better education than other students through regular channels.

There's laws and statutes put in place by the Wisconsin Board of education with the intent of protecting everyone's right to an education and no is immune from them. Even if we don't think they are fair or right gives no one case for dismissal of the law. If the WIVA is violating statutes put in place and doing their own thing, showing how well the school works... well... has nothing to do with the case. Even if it did it would be a weak argument, see my next paragraph.

Suppose I'm Lawyer X for the Board and suppose I'm talking to Teacher X and Y for the WIVA. "Teacher X, why should the Board of Education continue to charter these virtual schools when you yourself continue to try to tell me how these schools are just as good as regular schools? You've provided no facts to base that opinion on, show me facts that prove the schools are just as good as regular schools and not straw man arguments. If you try to tell me they are better than regular schools show me statistics that prove it." Teacher X... "Duhhh uhhhh duhhhh" Lawyer X... "I think I'm done owning this one" OBJECT, Layer X..."OK embarrassing her" OBJECT Lawyer X... "OK, OK discrediting her, next victim... I mean witness"

Lawyer X... "Teacher Y, you do not live in the district in which you teach, this violates the statute (such and such) put in place by the WEAC and Board of Education. Basically you're not spending 8 hours a day within the district or at a brick and mortar school as would a regular dues paying Teacher. Most of your time is spent at your home not within the district, explain to me how this is fair to a Teacher that does spend her time in the classroom abiding by Union rules and the District rules?" Teacher Y... "Duhhh uhhh Duhhhh" Lawyer X... "OK I'm done with this witness"

What I'm getting at here Sue is the WVIA had better come up with something more than how well the School works, hell I don't even doubt that it does work as well as regular school. Maybe it does even work better, that's not the issues at hand though. I'll tell you one thing though, coming off with that pompous attitude that it is somehow better and the children receive a better education will win them no supporters and only more detractors.

Actually you've peaked my interest in this case, I'll be watching it, I'd rather not see your school get shut down but it seems as though it's a done deal. Just get some better people to articulate the issues than this lady.